About Me

I ramble about a number of things - but travel experiences, movies and music feature prominently. See my label cloud for a better idea. All comnments and opinions on this blog are my own, and do not in any way reflect the opinions/position of my employer (past/current/future).

07 March 2012

Final thoughts on San Francisco

Now that I am on another continent, on my third flight (and different type of aircraft); it's a good time to put down some final reflections on San Francisco.

San Francisco feels "un-American", at least in terms of media portrayal. It embraces multi-culturalism, proudly supports homosexuality, has relaxed rules on recreational drug use and seems to accept all immigrants with open arms. I don't know of any other US city that has notices in three languages - English, Spanish and Chinese - across the city.

It is a melting pot of cultures; and there does not seem to be a dominant cultural group; but most of all it is highly integrated. You will find Mexican food in Chinatown, and vice-versa.

It is a beautiful city; but also expensive. It has a lot of tourist activities; but also a lot i leisure activities for the locals. It has amazing food places with a focus on organic and local produce. Overall, it seems like a great place to live, and it is easy to see why someone can easily leave their heart in San Francisco.

No comments: