About Me

I ramble about a number of things - but travel experiences, movies and music feature prominently. See my label cloud for a better idea. All comnments and opinions on this blog are my own, and do not in any way reflect the opinions/position of my employer (past/current/future).

16 July 2007

Ich bin ein Berliner

Ok, maybe JFK getting it wrong is an urban legend, and this is not a post about jelly filled donuts. Regardless it is one of the most famous statements made about Berlin, so a good way as any to start of the first post about Berlin. Unlike my previous trips in the last four years, this is the first time, I will stay in a foreign country for an extended period of time, and really "living" in the country instead of just visiting.

So far my knowledge (or the lack thereof) of German has not been too much of a problem, but I should probably make an attempt to learns some basics, as everything is in German. Except for CNN and BBC, everything on TV is dubbed, from the B and C grade American movies to the blockbuster movies, series and sitcoms. This extends to shops, where almost nothing is in English.

And talking of shops, things are more expensive that South Africa - but that was to be expected. For example, my first expense in Berlin was to acquire a monthly travel pass, which gives me unlimited use of the Berlin public transport (trams, buses, S Bahn (a intra city train network) and the U-Bahn (the underground train network) within the AB zone (the Berlin city zone), for 70 Euros. A day pass would cost 5.50 Euros, so it is a big saving, but expensive none the less. Except for Trams, I have traveled in all the other forms of public transport. So far, everything works like clockwork, and everything seems synchronised (for example, U-Bahn trains wait for trains on other lines that stop at the same station). The U-Bahn is very similar to other underground train systems, and does not have the complexity of the New York subway. One interesting point though: it seems that some lines are narrow gauge while others are wide gauge. Can't really confirm this - just commenting from the seating arrangements in the trains. It could just be a matter of perspective. Oh one more U-Bahn weird fact: the ticket inspectors (there is no enforced access control wear no uniforms (do carry id) and so blend into the crowd. Very cool!

Berlin is a very cycle friendly city, with cycle lanes and bike racks everywhere! The fact that the city is mostly flat helps off course. I have yet to see more than a handful of cyclists wearing helmets though! Maybe they don't get knocked down too often. That does not mean that there are no cars on the road; but there is definitely less cars than other European capitals I have been to, especially Paris and London. As for cars, it is not much of a surprise to see Mercedes, BMW, VW, Audi and Opel being the dominant brands. However, that does not mean that there are no other makes on the road.

I am staying in a studio apartment, similar (from the outside) to apartment blocks I have seen in East Berlin (I am not sure whether I am in West or East Berlin). It is a big apartment block, with a very confusing door numbering system (they do not use the floor number followed by flat number convention); so working out where my apartment was took some time. While certainly not the lap of luxury, it certainly has everything I need, and I have sort of worked out most of the logistics - most because I have no idea where the laundromat is. Not required now - but will be in 2 weeks time! The complex also has a well kept garden, tennis courts, a braai area and my flat has an awesome view!

I went on a 4 hour free walking tour of the city (by Brewers Berlin Tour), a company that I actually stumbled upon, rather than intending to find them. It was a good overview of the main sites of the city, and I intend to go back to many of the areas for a more detailed visit. So, I will phlog according to subject matter rather than daily activities.

4 comments:

phathu said...

Finally in Germany Al, have fun. I shall come visit you when I come to Europe next.

Unknown said...

Hi Alapan, I'm glad that you finally managed to arrive in Berlin and that things worked out well for you so far. May you have good and interesting times. I wish that you'll receive the same hospitality as I have received in South Africa so far, but don't get upset if people appear to be a bit rough around the edges. Most of them let you know immediately if they a) hate their job (take care about the fierce lady behind the cash desk in the supermarket - AND DON'T ASK HER TO PACK YOUR SHOPPING-BAG, OK!?) or b) just don't like you. But you should embrace it, honesty can be refreshing sometimes :)

Ich freue mich darauf zukünftig deinen Blog zu lesen. Grüsse in die Heimat :)

Unknown said...

... and read the Kennedy speech. Just in case you haven't yet.

alapan said...

Thanks for the comments. More blog posts to follow soon, but probably after the weekend :P

My limited (non existent) German reduces the conversation opportunities ... maybe I should learn some :P And so far, I have been welll received!