About Me

I ramble about a number of things - but travel experiences, movies and music feature prominently. See my label cloud for a better idea. All comnments and opinions on this blog are my own, and do not in any way reflect the opinions/position of my employer (past/current/future).

17 July 2007

A brief note about keyboards

German keyboards have to incorporate four more letters: ö, ü, ä and ß. For this reason, the keyboard layout is slightly different to the normal US keyboard layout. And that is annoying - because it is not just the incorporation of different keys.

To start of, the z and y kes are swapped around. So, I often end up with tzping mistakes.

There are also other keys out of position ... ' and " are on different keys (both, have to be used with shift). And I am dreading latex usage on this type of a keyboard; {, [, ], } are all third keys, which are accessed with a combination of alt and a another key.

Forget langauge issues .... getting to grips with the keyboard seems more difficult!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I worked with people that used German keyboards, and the z / y key swap always got to me!