About Me

I ramble about a number of things - but travel experiences, movies and music feature prominently. See my label cloud for a better idea. All comnments and opinions on this blog are my own, and do not in any way reflect the opinions/position of my employer (past/current/future).

03 January 2010

The Big Hole



It is probably the world's most famous hole, and also probably the richest. The Big Hole, in Kimberley is now also a proper tourist attraction, converted to a proper museum. There is a recreation of the old town, an ampitheatre that plays a 20 minute documentary on this history of Kimberley, a fake trip down the mine (you have to experience it to understand what I mean), a display on the formation of diamonds, a display in a massive safe of real diamonds (but the main attraction - Eureka, the first diamond to be discovered was on "leave") and off course the hole itself.

No comments: