About Me

I ramble about a number of things - but travel experiences, movies and music feature prominently. See my label cloud for a better idea. All comnments and opinions on this blog are my own, and do not in any way reflect the opinions/position of my employer (past/current/future).

03 January 2010

Roadtrip: Bellville to Three Sisters

I deliberately decided on a short first day for the drive back to Johannesburg. Yes, I could do the whole trip in one day; but the intent was to see the country - not get from A to B. If it was the latter, I would have flown - it would be cheaper; and faster.

I started in the adternoon, and spent a considerably amount of time on Dutoitskloof pass looking at the view and taking pictures (and trying things out with my camera). The Hex River moountains, which follow directly after, were fun to drive through also. But thereafter, it was a drab drive to Three Sisters, where for the first time in the trip, I had made prior reservations.




There is no town or village called Three Sisters - it is actually a very large sheep farm, named after the three hills. Apparently there are two accounts of the name - stemming from a San tale about three naughtly sisters turned to mountains as punishment and a rival account of being named by an English lady who alighted at the station here.

The farm has been in the same family since inception, 5 generations ago - and the current family also runs a small, cosy guesthouse - set in a great garden that makes you forget that this is the middle of the desert. Dinner was an interesting experience in some respects - myself and three other couples sat around a common dining table for a three course meal of chicken soup, lamb chops and ice cream. Quite a few guesthouse apparently have this, but this is the first time I have experienced it. The conversation was mostly dominated by one old lady, who was returning from Mossel Bay; and talked about the drought and the cost of liquid beverages (of all kinds) in Mossel Bay, and the surrounding area.

No comments: