About Me

I ramble about a number of things - but travel experiences, movies and music feature prominently. See my label cloud for a better idea. All comnments and opinions on this blog are my own, and do not in any way reflect the opinions/position of my employer (past/current/future).

03 January 2010

Kimberley



Kimberley, is one of the main towns in South Africa. In some respects, it is known only for its diamond heritage; which has not only fueled the South African economy, but had an impact on other South African life; as the plaque by the Big Hole suggests. I was surprised how big the city was, but I shouldn't have been. It is not mentioned as one of the major cities in South Africa, but it clearly is.

Kimberley has also played a major role in the history of the ANC, and was Sol Plaatjie's (one of the core founders of the ANC) home towards the end of his life. His house is apparently a museum and a national monument, but the signs in Kimberley are confusing, and do not lead anywhere (one sign says left, then the next sign makes no mention etc). I did go to another museum (McGregor Museum, which documents the siege of Kimberley); but did not get any help their either.

As it was getting late; I decided to carry on to Jo'burg instead.

No comments: