About Me

I ramble about a number of things - but travel experiences, movies and music feature prominently. See my label cloud for a better idea. All comnments and opinions on this blog are my own, and do not in any way reflect the opinions/position of my employer (past/current/future).

28 October 2007

Shiny New Toy

After some months of talking about it, I finally went out and bought myself a Macbook. I know Hans will be disappointed that I didn't buy the black one, but the black one is $100 more than the white one with the same specs! I had already confirmed that the Alexandria store had stock before I came to the US, so it wasn't too difficult: 2.16Ghz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of RAM, 120 GB hard disk, and Leopard (although I had to upgrade it myself).

Apple store was interesting - a lot busier than 2 years ago, when I bought my iPod. The staff carry wireless paypoints, so they can conduct the transaction without going to the till point. But since I paid for it with cash, that option was not utilised.

Installing Leopard took some time - about 70 odd minutes, and at 5GB, Microsoft is not the only one making bloated operating systems. So far though OS X has been a lot more friendlier, although there are quite a few quirks that I need to learn.

4 comments:

Ciaa said...

lovely! you must enjoy yout toy!

Anonymous said...

Now you should install some gnu/linux distribution on it!

Unknown said...

Hey, you should have taken the *bling bling* black MacBook, dude :) The black one is pulling chicks. Just joking, have fun with your Apple :)
I just read at MacRumors that the new, upgraded MacBook series will be released next week :( Was probably a bad timing for buying a MacBook. I mean ONE WEEK!

alapan said...

Actually, I don't plan to run any linux distro on the Mac ... want to make max use of the space :)

As for waiting ... it's the problem with computers - they are out dated every week. Buying elsewhere would have been about 20% more expensive ... if only Apple had synchronised everything with my US travel dates ... have been lucky so far: both the previous iPod generation and Leopard were released just before I came to the US.