About Me

I ramble about a number of things - but travel experiences, movies and music feature prominently. See my label cloud for a better idea. All comnments and opinions on this blog are my own, and do not in any way reflect the opinions/position of my employer (past/current/future).

21 February 2012

Movie: Ides of March

The George Clooney directed political thriller has been at the theatres for quite a while, but I only got round to seeing it on the plane. It is billed as "an idealistic staffer getting a crash course in dirty politics", but I think it is a lot more.

Centered around a fictional democratic primary for the presidency, it is a study of strategy firstly, and politician's ethics secondly. The beauty of the movie is not the dirty politics, but how the central character played by Ryan Gosling, takes advantage of the situation to further his own end. While he comes across as caring and very much a "good guy", earlier in the movie, in the end we are left with a cold, calculating cynic. The transformation, and the story around the transformation is brilliant.

No comments: