About Me

I ramble about a number of things - but travel experiences, movies and music feature prominently. See my label cloud for a better idea. All comnments and opinions on this blog are my own, and do not in any way reflect the opinions/position of my employer (past/current/future).

24 February 2012

Mission Delores

It is the site of the oldest building in San Francisco, and the third site of the catholic mission. I was fortunate that my arrival coincided with the start of a school tour group, and I got a fascinating history lesson from the curator, Andy. Andy is the direct descendant of one of the earliest Indian (as he insisted not Native American) converts, and gave a fascinating story on the construction and the history of the mission. He focused a lot more on the Indian story, such as the impact of colonialism in diet and the environment, the impact of disease and also the story behind some of the very impressive artwork within the church.

No comments: