About Me

I ramble about a number of things - but travel experiences, movies and music feature prominently. See my label cloud for a better idea. All comnments and opinions on this blog are my own, and do not in any way reflect the opinions/position of my employer (past/current/future).

19 February 2012

Groenkloof Nature Reserve

When I moved to Gauteng, I was introduced to Groenkloof for mountain biking. I haven't biked for a long time, but have become a very regular (weekly is my aim) hiker.

Just outside Pretoria, it is one of the oldest reserves in South Africa, and features a number of hiking, bike and 4x4 trails. There is a wide variety of game, and I have often come across at least 3 or 4 species of large animals. The hiking and bike trails allow one to get very close to the animals (and sometimes too close). There is also an incredible transformation just after the rains when the main valley is filled with croaking frogs and a huge variety of bird life.

No comments: