About Me

I ramble about a number of things - but travel experiences, movies and music feature prominently. See my label cloud for a better idea. All comnments and opinions on this blog are my own, and do not in any way reflect the opinions/position of my employer (past/current/future).

22 February 2012

Movie: 50/50

A comedy about cancer, in itself sounds strange. Set around the story of a young man (played brilliantly by Joseph Gordon-Levitt) diagnosed with a rare cancer, detected early enough for him to have a 50% chance of survival.

The movie is not all laughs, but instead of focusing on the tragedy, it focuses on the many absurdities, from insensitive doctors, to eating biscuits with marijuana, to the constant "you will be fine". It is not an inspirational tale of beating the odds (or trying to), but it is still the most upbeat story of cancer (or any other serious illness) that I have seen.

No comments: