About Me

I ramble about a number of things - but travel experiences, movies and music feature prominently. See my label cloud for a better idea. All comnments and opinions on this blog are my own, and do not in any way reflect the opinions/position of my employer (past/current/future).

27 March 2014

Crossing Over ... To Europe

When I started researching the trip, I had wanted to island hop across the Aegean from Athens to Istanbul. Unfortunately, that is only feasible between May and September, as the ferries at other times is quite limited. Thus, we only have one substantial ferry trip - crossing from Turkey to Greece. 

The trip is quite uneventful, even though the sea was a bit choppy. The Turkish ferry company, Turyol, provides a daily ferry between Ayvalik and Mytilini; and their customer service over email was particularly impressive. The cost of 20 Euros, for one way, was also very reasonable.

Tge customs check on both the Greek and Turkish side were far more intense than airport checks. I suppose it is easier to smuggle goods via sea - but at least the officials were friendly about it.


No comments: