About Me

I ramble about a number of things - but travel experiences, movies and music feature prominently. See my label cloud for a better idea. All comnments and opinions on this blog are my own, and do not in any way reflect the opinions/position of my employer (past/current/future).

16 March 2012

Long live the SLR?

I bought an iPhone (4S) before this trip, mostly for two reasons - the iPod functionality on my iPad (1) wasn't great, and I wanted to use some of the travel apps (more on that on another future post).

What I used it for, more than anything else however, was the camera. In fact, I took more photos with my iPhone than with my SLR. All the photos on the blog from this trip, are taken with my iPhone. In the latter parts of the trip, I started seriously thinking on whether I should carry my SLR at all.

The SLR takes great photos, and has a few advantages that I doubt the iPhone will ever have. There is the obvious - a variety of lenses, for different conditions and/or effects. Associated with that is the control on the field of depth - optical zoom for consumer cameras. Even the versatility I have with my modest set of two lenses will be hard to replicate. It is also easier to use in some respects; easier to hold, has a neck strap (ie I don't have to hold on to it or dig it out of my pocket all the time), and can be used with gloves (and not freeze my fingers off).

But the iPhone does have its advantages. It is far lighter, it is an easy platform to blog from (the blogger app resizes automatically), email, tweet etc and backs up photos to Photo Stream seamlessly. It is also easy to take it to venues where cameras aren't allowed - like inside opera halls and concert venues.

So ultimately, I find that the SLR is not useful for the normal day to day city sightseeing. But going on a hike, or taking a photo of a scenic object from afar; it will remain the better tool. As for the photos of the detailed sculptures or frescos ... The SLR is better, but when you have a throng of people wanting the same shot, perhaps just a poorer shot with a phone will suffice.

No comments: