About Me

I ramble about a number of things - but travel experiences, movies and music feature prominently. See my label cloud for a better idea. All comnments and opinions on this blog are my own, and do not in any way reflect the opinions/position of my employer (past/current/future).

16 December 2007

The Bodies Exhibition

I just missed the exhibition in Washington DC, and when I saw that it had just opened in Barcelona, I decided not to miss the opportunity. If you haven't heard, Bodies is a fairly controversial exhibition where a human body parts are plasticised and put on display. So instead of just seeing the human body from the view of the skeleton and or outside, the complex muscles and organs that really make us up can be put on display.


It is a fascinating exhibition - not only because it so clearly demonstrates the complex machine that is us, but also what disease means for the body. For example, what does a cancerous lung look like as opposed to a healthy lung?


The stated goal of the exhibition is to teach us about our own bodies ... I enjoyed biology in school, and to an extent, I think exhibitions like Bodies can help teach and educate people far more effectively than textbooks or even videos and 3D computer models - it just is not as realistic and in your face. Sadly, the exhibition is pretty exclusive ... entrance was about 15 Euros, and is only available in certain cities. Ultimately, the process must be adopted by museums to truly give a wider access to the public

No comments: