About Me

I ramble about a number of things - but travel experiences, movies and music feature prominently. See my label cloud for a better idea. All comnments and opinions on this blog are my own, and do not in any way reflect the opinions/position of my employer (past/current/future).

21 December 2007

Huancayo

Thursday evening was my first venture outside Lima, with an overnight bus trip to Huancayo, a town high up (over 3000m) in the Andes. I had only one motivation to come to here: it is the stating point of the Huancayo-Huanvelica train trip, which was cited as one of the most scenic train rides in the world in both my guide book (Rough Guides to Peru) and Lonely Planet. After those recommendations, I just could not resist.


The town itself is largely unremarkable - some interesting old colonial buildings (two churches and the town centre for example), and there is a thriving craft market. But beyond that, there is no real reason to make a prolonged stop in Huancayo. Although, the air is very fresh and crisp - so I suppose that is a reason to stay ....



No comments: