About Me

I ramble about a number of things - but travel experiences, movies and music feature prominently. See my label cloud for a better idea. All comnments and opinions on this blog are my own, and do not in any way reflect the opinions/position of my employer (past/current/future).

17 March 2014

Berlin's Erotik Museum

Be it sex shops, or prostitution, Germany, and especially Berlin, is quite open about sex. I have been to the Berlin Erotik Museum before (part of a walking tour if I recall); and it really hasn't changed much in between. Located above a Beate Uhse  sex shop near the Zoological Gardens station, it features a floor of various art work over the ages - a lot of Japanese and Chinese art across a number of centuries; and turn of 1900 art from Europe - sex toys and probably the most interesting; a collection of aphrodisiacs. It is quite amazing what humans consider to be aphrodisiacs. It seems anything phallic shaped goes - from the mundane to the disgusting (preserved snakes, snake blood etc). 

The museum is not as good as I remember it, nor is it as interesting as the ones in New York or Amsterdam - but it is still a more obscure cultural experience.

No comments: