About Me

I ramble about a number of things - but travel experiences, movies and music feature prominently. See my label cloud for a better idea. All comnments and opinions on this blog are my own, and do not in any way reflect the opinions/position of my employer (past/current/future).

16 March 2014

Pergamon Altar (@Pergamon Museum)

The Pergamon Altar was the reason to come to Berlin - later in this trip I plan to go to Pergamon itself, and that was motivated from my memories of the altar at the Pergamon Museum. It is really one of the most imposing sights in any museum. Excavated in modern day Turkey, assembled and restored in Germany; it is a Classical Greek temple with an amazing frieze telling an epic battle between gods and monsters. Unfortunately most of the frieze is missing/damaged but the scale and the detail of what is remaining is jaw-dropping none the less. It is definitely one of the must see museums in the world.


No comments: