About Me

I ramble about a number of things - but travel experiences, movies and music feature prominently. See my label cloud for a better idea. All comnments and opinions on this blog are my own, and do not in any way reflect the opinions/position of my employer (past/current/future).

09 October 2012

Chill Man

I caught the slower train from Heathrow to Paddington, which stops at a few local stations along the way. It was surprisingly quick to clear immigrations (last experience at Heathrow, over an hour, yesterday 5 minutes), so I had some time before I could check in to my hotel.

The first stop after Heathrow, two heavily tattooed men dressed in tatty clothes got on, and hung by the door. Shortly thereafter, the conductor came through checking tickets, which these men didn't have. I was quite surprised, as were the two men, on the conductor's reaction. After a hushed (but still audible) chat on why they didn't have tickets, the conductor simply asked the two men to take a seat and relax. The men were so startled, that the conductor had to repeat himself, "chill man".

I am not sure why this small incident should stick in my mind ... are these instances of understanding officialdom so rare?

No comments: