About Me

I ramble about a number of things - but travel experiences, movies and music feature prominently. See my label cloud for a better idea. All comnments and opinions on this blog are my own, and do not in any way reflect the opinions/position of my employer (past/current/future).

14 August 2007

Weather forecasting through dice rolls

How hard is it to predict the weather? I don't know, but what I do know is not to bother with looking at the weather forecast for Berlin: it's always wrong, regardless of who gives it: BBC, CNN, local forecast on the underground trains (there are TV in the trains, that give news highlights etc of Berlin) and even the Internet.

In fact, the Internet is the worst - I have had forecast for heavy rain while it is sunny outside without a cloud in the sky and sunny forecasts for days where it is pelting down with rain (Friday being the most recent example).

South African weather forecasts seems to be very accurate; so the question remains: does Berlin lie on the path of a particularly bad weather system, or are the forecasters simply not good?

1 comment:

phathu said...

Not to defend them or anything, but I think SA whether is a bit predictable. For instance, in Joburg it never rains in winter and in cape town its the other way around. So i guess its not too hard. I am not sure how the whether in Germany is, but I am guessing a little bit more tricky