About Me

I ramble about a number of things - but travel experiences, movies and music feature prominently. See my label cloud for a better idea. All comnments and opinions on this blog are my own, and do not in any way reflect the opinions/position of my employer (past/current/future).

10 March 2007

DRM Doomed?

Yet another opinion on a tech site raises the question - was my 4 years of slaving (well ok not slaving) towards a PhD really worth it?

The thing is, DRM is not a copy protection mechanism - it stands for rights management; not copy management. Likewise, it is not a copyright enforcement mechanism. There are enough academic papers (including my own) about the last two points. And if that is the case; why on earth does everyone still rally on the same issue?

The fact of the matter is, DRM has been maligned with control of media in a veiled attempt at controlling piracy. DRM has been sold on the same terms as CDs and tapes; and not as new business measures which is what it really is. Furthermore, DRM has been seen as the big guys protecting their property from the public - the possibility that joe public could use DRM to protect their own things - photos, documents, home movies etc. has been ignored. So maybe, my thesis does have a place; but will anyone care?

1 comment:

Ciaa said...

dunno if you have seen this lately.