About Me

I ramble about a number of things - but travel experiences, movies and music feature prominently. See my label cloud for a better idea. All comnments and opinions on this blog are my own, and do not in any way reflect the opinions/position of my employer (past/current/future).

22 May 2017

Hamlet

It's probably Shakespeare's most famous play, and although I had seen snippets of performances before, this was the first time I had seen a full performance. The play itself is set on a ship - historically one of the earliest known performances of the play - which means that we are actually watching a play on the performance of a play which also happens to have a play in the performance.

The premise of the location leads to a stunningly minimal set - a smallish stage with a few crates - but this stage is surrounded by water - which is brilliantly used as part of the performance. The cast itself is only 6 persons - each playing more than one role - with a standout performance by Marcel Meyer as Hamlet (and the ghost of his dead father) - and the channeling of the ghost as a possession was a touch of genius!

No comments: