About Me

I ramble about a number of things - but travel experiences, movies and music feature prominently. See my label cloud for a better idea. All comnments and opinions on this blog are my own, and do not in any way reflect the opinions/position of my employer (past/current/future).

31 August 2007

The Reichstag


The Reichstag is THE symbol of German unity, and in fact the rebuilding (after being bombed to smithereens in WW2) of the Reichstag to be the seat of a future German united government even before the wall was even started! It is also a symbol of a new wave of architecture, comprising of mainly glass, that has taken hold in Berlin.



The famous glass dome, built by UK architect Sir Norman Foster acts like a viewing platform and also hosts a small display of photos illustrating the history of the building. It is interesting to know that there were quite a number of votes that rejected the incorporation of East Germany into West Germany for instance!





There are other buildings around the Reichstag, serving various governmental functions. The Democracy building (serving as the national archive IIRC) is possibly the most striking of them all.


The house of the German Chancellor is also quite interesting, and forms an H, if seen from above.

2 comments:

Ciaa said...

i'm loving these photos. it seems as though you are having a swell time time indeed.

alapan said...

Thanks bru!

I have taken so many pictures with the new camera it is scary ... I am trigger happy I guess :P And, so you get to see more of them on my blog, and they actually represent a fraction of the pics I do take.