About Me

I ramble about a number of things - but travel experiences, movies and music feature prominently. See my label cloud for a better idea. All comnments and opinions on this blog are my own, and do not in any way reflect the opinions/position of my employer (past/current/future).

10 July 2007

Roadtrip: Day 2: Storms River Village to Kolga

So, not contend with sliding half way across the Bloukrans bridge - I decided to go for more. In Tarzan, Tarzan always seems to enjoy swinging around the forest. There is something similar in the Tsitsikamma forest - instead of swing around though, you slide between platforms high up on the Yellow-wood trees of the Tsitsikamma forest. Some long slides, some fast slides, and through the canopies of the forest. Really cool, and beats walking around any day.




Our Guide Pam, Sliding to the last platform


There is so much to do around Tsitsikamma - there is a mountain bike trail to the Storms River mouth but that was closed until mid July (and I didn't have time anyway). There are also numerous hikes, and I went up to the Big Tree (a massive Yellowood tree), the starting point of some other longer hikes around Tsitsikamma forest. I think I can spend a whole week here!



Drove straight to Grahamstown (after a short stop at the Storms River bridge) with the road remarkably empty, and except the approach to Port Elizabeth, rather dull in scenery. I did consider stopping over at Grahamstown for the festival, but I was too disorganised, and did not think I could find accommodation or tickers easily.


Instead of following the N2 into East London, I decided to cut through the Transkei. It was getting dark, and stopped at a small town called Kolga (about 6 Km from where the road rejoins the N2. Found a (possibly only) B&B (Red Valley B&B) run by a granny (numerous items in the office testifying to the fact she is a granny :P). Not too bad, what can be expected I suppose. R250 for the night with dinner (I leave early in the morning, so decided not to take the breakfast option). Not the cheapest place to stay, but not a bad place to stay.

My favourite picture from the trip

No comments: