About Me

I ramble about a number of things - but travel experiences, movies and music feature prominently. See my label cloud for a better idea. All comnments and opinions on this blog are my own, and do not in any way reflect the opinions/position of my employer (past/current/future).

08 November 2005

CCS Day 0: DRM Workshop

I was meant to blog the days notes last night - but was too tired. And seeing how boring the keynote speaker for day 1 - a director from Homeland Security - is, I thought it's a good time now.

I was the first presenter of the day - which was quite cool in a way. My presentation went well and was well received although there were no real questions. However, the negotiation idea did get some good remarks. The next paper also had a legal view and pretty much confirmed some of the results of our DRM survey. It was certainly a more interesting approach and so I don't feel that bad that my paper in that arena did not get through ...

In the architectures arena - two interesting points. Pramod Jamkhedkar, who I met last year and had a good contact gave some progress .... maybe I should try to resurrect the contact in that arena. There is also a project in Belgium that is very similar to mine - I aim to learn more and maybe collaborate - could be good. There was also a paper from Motorola - but was rather limited in its application in my view.

The invited talk was from a director at Microsoft - personally I thought too much of it was marketing hype. He did praise Apple a bit - which I found interesting. In the more mathematical arena - two papers - first one on crypto which though interesting was quite difficult to understand, and I am not sure if I did get it in the end. The other paper was a formal proof of one of the key protocols in DRM which is similar to a protocol I make use of - so quite interesting.

The rest of the papers, while interesting were to focused on their respective arenas (like watermarking). It was a good day - hope the rest of the conference is as good. It seems that the conference is actually smaller this year - a lot fewer papers and people for the look of things. It could be due to a new conference called Asia-CCS which is going to be held in March next year. Missed submitting a paper into that one :(

No comments: