About Me

I ramble about a number of things - but travel experiences, movies and music feature prominently. See my label cloud for a better idea. All comnments and opinions on this blog are my own, and do not in any way reflect the opinions/position of my employer (past/current/future).

13 May 2016

Ivory Elephant


In the hallway of Gabarone's Sir Seretse Khama International Airport, there is an amazing elephant sculpture made of tusks - reclaimed from elephants that died naturally (as opposed to poaching reclamation). The plaque talks about the sculpture being a symbol for the fight against poaching - a stark contrast to Kenya's recent mass burning of elephant tusks.

I am not too sure of what to make of it - on one hand, it is a beautiful sculpture; but I am not too sure that this can really pass as anti-poaching message. Surely, the current buyers of ivory artworks would be even more determined to own something from ivory and not less after seeing this sculpture?

No comments: