About Me

I ramble about a number of things - but travel experiences, movies and music feature prominently. See my label cloud for a better idea. All comnments and opinions on this blog are my own, and do not in any way reflect the opinions/position of my employer (past/current/future).

07 December 2008

Movie: Synechdoche

In "Being John Malkovich" Charlie Kaufman explored the world through one person's eyes (and a lot more than that). In Synechdoche, he explores a whole city. Philip Seymour Hoffman plays a nutty director who has just won a grand prize to put on the most ambitious play ever. So, he tries to replicate New York - and the actors basically start living the play. And through the play, he tries to explore and understand himself - although I think he fails spectacularly.

It is a lot more, and is quite a roller coaster - but is ultimate very complex and hard to unravel. It is a lot more than Being John Malkovich; a lot more than the Truman Show; but ultimately it does not have a clear cut story or purpose. But I did not really expect it to.

No comments: