About Me

I ramble about a number of things - but travel experiences, movies and music feature prominently. See my label cloud for a better idea. All comnments and opinions on this blog are my own, and do not in any way reflect the opinions/position of my employer (past/current/future).

16 March 2008

Traffic and Development

For the most part, Gauteng has a good road network. But the road system really lacks a congestion control mechanism. For example, on the outer ring roads that surround Washington DC, there is a third set of lanes that is only open during peak times, and open in the direction of where the major traffic goes. But it is not only a lack of capacity on the freeways - the bottlenecks really occur at the off ramps from the freeway.

There has been a lot of development in Gauteng - every corner is either a new shopping mall or housing complex, either being built or been built recently. Old charm - forget it. But with the new development, the surrounding infrastructure has not been developed with it. The roads have not been upgraded to handle the new influx of people. And, off course there is the electricity supply problem.

I have been stuck in traffic a few time already - but not going to and from work, because I live close enough to walk (and I do, most of the time). My new place, where I will move to once this month is over, is also fairly close to work. I see no reason to drive to work. But I don't see the traffic situation improving, even with the Gautrain - South Africans love their cars, and even the high petrol price does not seem to be much of a deterrence.

No comments: