About Me

I ramble about a number of things - but travel experiences, movies and music feature prominently. See my label cloud for a better idea. All comnments and opinions on this blog are my own, and do not in any way reflect the opinions/position of my employer (past/current/future).

23 July 2007

Potter Mania

I was introduced to the series by my younger brother, and I have become a fan. Normally, I buy the books online, but I decided to experience the whole, midnight release experience at one of the largest bookstores in Berlin, Dussmann das KulturKauufhaus.

The whole queuing thing is quite interesting - esp when you consider the massive queues for recent gadget launches like the iPhone last month and the Nintendo Wii and Sony Playstation 3 last year. The staff were all dressed up as witches and wizards (and a few more specific characters (none of the main characters though!) and the media was there to off course. It was actually quite an interesting experience. There was probably not much difference between those launches and Harry Potter; except the queues were comparatively lot shorter, and the gratification a lot faster - after all you can start reading the book almost immediately. I had already finished 50 pages on my way home!

Spolier Alert


Real Spolier Alert

As for the book, I must confess that I did not like the ending. Overall, the book is quite dark, and a lot more grown up. The twist involving two of the most important characters was good, but the ending was too simple, and at some level too expected. It is too much of a Hollywood ending; but then again, it is a children's story; and good does triumph over evil and all that.

No comments: