About Me

I ramble about a number of things - but travel experiences, movies and music feature prominently. See my label cloud for a better idea. All comnments and opinions on this blog are my own, and do not in any way reflect the opinions/position of my employer (past/current/future).

08 January 2008

Reflections: Huaraz


In my original plan, Huaraz was supposed to be a one night stop-over at most - visit Chavin De Hauntar and then carry on. Instead, I ended up staying in the area for longer than any other area in Peru. As a base for hiking in the Andes it is superb, and although there are more attractions around the area that I did not visit - such as more ruins, lakes and thermal baths - I definitely had a great time here.

Although Huaraz is a pretty small town, it has an amazingly big market where one can buy everything from fresh fruit (with mangoes, avocados, bananas and oranges being the most prevalent) and vegetables to meat to clothing to pirate DVDs.



I stayed at Hostel Caroline - amazingly cheap deal at 10 Soles (just over 3 US $) per night for a dorm bed including breakfast and transport to and from the bus terminals. The hostel is quite big actually - 4 storeys high, and the owners live with their family at the hostel, making it a very friendly family atmosphere. It has definitely been one of the best hostels I have ever stayed in. I also managed to find two guys - Asher and Daniel (both from England) who are keen to go to Brazil for the carnival, via my mad idea of sailing down the Amazon. Let's see what happens ...

No comments: